Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Grandma Van

Well I'm a lot behind on our blog. I'm going to start catching up with a post about Ryan's Grandma Van, Kathleen (Kathy) Van Wagoner. What an amazing woman!

Grandma Van passed away in April. She had been struggling with her health for a long time. Her kidneys weren't functioning and she had to go to dialysis every other day which really wore her out. Her heart was also in really rough shape and she was just getting more and more frail by the day. She and Grandpa both ended up getting pneumonia and being placed in a care facility. Grandpa made a great comeback after several hard weeks. Grandma however just kept getting more frail.

We were so lucky to be able to go to Utah for Riley's blessing to be with our families for that special time. We knew Grandma Van would not be able to come to Riley's baby blessing so we dropped by Stonehenge Sunday morning before the blessing to see Grandma and introduce her to Riley. When Grandpa Van saw us he just started crying. We could tell it meant a lot to both of them that we had come. I think it meant even more to us though! We were so happy to be able to see them and share our sweet baby with them.

That was the last time we saw Grandma Van.

We came up for Grandma Van's funeral several weeks later.

I always really loved Ryan's Grandma Van. She reminded me so much of my Grandma B who I love and miss so much. They both had that always optimistic and positive outlook on life and never ever complained no matter how much pain they were in. Every time Ryan and I would go visit Grandma Van she would always remember all of these little details and ask about our life at Notre Dame and how we like being parents, ask about Ryan's internship/job etc. Something else that really stuck out to me and I will pass along to my children is how Grandma Van was ALWAYS thinking of others. I want to cry just thinking about it. She was absolutely dedicated to serving other people and showing them love. In the short time I knew her that was the one thing that really impressed on my heart and what I will always think of when I remember her.

Her funeral was wonderful. We got to hear a lot of fun stories and get to know her better, like how she loved waterskiing, sewing, snow skiing, playing the piano and organ, and could tell which note the kids had misplayed when practicing the piano. I also loved the story about how she played "my dog shep" (which is an Elvis song) during the prelude music of Sacrament meeting. Someone turned to Grandpa Van and said, "That's not in the hymn book!" He turned to the man and said, "It is in mine!" :) I thought that was the cutest/funniest story. All the grandkids sang a musical number together. I couldn't even sing because I was just tearing up the whole song and thought I would burst into tears if I really sang. The song that really touched me was the primary song "I often go walking." The lyrics were changed at the end to say "Dear Grandma all flowers remind me of you." I really felt the spirit during that song. Her whole funeral was very inspiring and I think everyone left there wanting to be more a more Christ-like person.

Grandma Van will always be remembered as a kind-hearted and loving person who was dedicated to her family and the gospel. What a remarkable life she led. Ryan and I will always treasure our memory of her and the person she was. We love you Grandma Van. Families are forever.

Introducing Grandma to Riley Rose




She is buried in AF cemetery
After the funeral luncheon with Grandpa Van 

With all of Ryan's fam after the funeral luncheon


No comments:

Post a Comment