Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Stop This Train

A couple of weeks ago I was driving in the car and I was listening to this John Mayer song called "Stop This Train." It is such a pretty song. You can hear the song here. Listen to the words. It's about how life goes by so quickly and sometimes we wish we could pause life or even go back in time to simpler days.

As I was listening to this song, I looked in my rear-view mirror and could see Riley being so sweet and cute. She was looking out the window with her wide blue eyes. She had pulled her little gold shoe off (like she always does) and was chewing on it--gazing out the window with a curious face. I just kept thinking how much I love her. Being her mom has been the most special thing I could ever imagine. 

In that moment, I was so filled with love and gratitude that I teared up. I felt so thankful for my life right now and for my little family. I wished that I could--as the song says, "stop this train." I wished I could pause life. I love being a mom so much and I love Riley's fun personality and sweet disposition. Sometimes I just wish things could stay this way forever. However, there's no way to "stop this train." And I know I shouldn't wish for it. I know life will have its ups and downs, good times and bad. And that is all part of our journey. It's how we learn and grow and become something more.

"Life is like an old time rail journey…delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." 

I'm so grateful for the ride I've been given so far. 


2 comments:

  1. Love!! I love that song too and I often feel those same sentiments you describe, Baley. Motherhood is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I agree...motherhood is the best!

    ReplyDelete